Melbourne, Australia, was voted the world’s most liveable city in 2015 for the fifth time! Making it a great place to spend your time on your Australia Working Holiday Visa.
But as a Brit living in Melbourne there’s certain things we can’t quite get our heads around! With the help of some British Characters and actors, here are 10 Things A Brit Living in Melbourne can relate to
This post was also featured on Buzzfeed to see that, go here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmystock/10-things-a-brit-living-in-melbourne-can-relate-to-1wsgx
1. You find it odd that supermarkets aren’t allowed to sell alcohol, yet there are Drive Thru ‘Bottle Shops’
Alcohol and driving, wha the?! Oh, ok then…
2. When the Fish and Chippery doesn’t have malt vinegar and instead offers you white vinegar and ‘Chicken Salt’
3. The weather isn’t always Sunny and Hot as you were led to believe…
The locals are right about Four Seasons occurring in one day.
4. Your Melbourne friends just don’t GET why you are so excited about the start of a new season of The Great British Bake Off!
It’s so much more than just baking in a tent!
5. When December comes and everyone’s all about getting a ‘beach body’ in time for the Christmas summer
6. You’ll find drinking in bars expensive, but the majority of restaurants allow you to BYOB. Great – pre drinks and dinner it is…
The more I drink now, the less I will spend later.
7. You pay less rent and work less hours and you still have more money than you did when living in the UK
So this is what a disposable income feels like. I like it.
8. You’re the only one watching (AFL) Aussie Rules Footy who is shocked by how violent it is
But, how is this a sport?!
9. You no longer spend half your time waiting in a queue (Yay!). Instead you’ll be waiting at traffic lights, lots of traffic lights.
Honestly what’s wrong with a good old roundabout?
10. You realise how important Brunch is, how good Brunch is and how it’s perfectly acceptable to go out for Brunch every, single day
Melbourne I think I love you.
Understanding the Melbourne way isn’t always easy as a Brit, but living in Melbourne sure is fun! No wonder it was voted the world’s most livable city!
Thanks for adopting us, Melbourne!
After writing this post on buzzfeed I had the following response from my ex- australian housemate:
“Nice work Emmy! Two things though – I still don’t get the appeal of Great British Bake Off and chicken salt slays!”
– Sigh, just no teaching some people!